Saturday, August 18, 2012

Flying Home


Sometimes, in life, you live in India.  Then, sometimes, you leave India.  And sometimes, in the process of leaving India, you have weird moments.  It’s like culture shock, but you feel dumb because it’s, technically, your own culture that is shocking you.  I have had many of those moments in this ridiculously long travelling journey.  Here are some of the weird ones.


1.       Literally stopping in my tracks and staring with my mouth open at the number of white people in line for the flight to Chicago.  As I left India, I was on a plane that still had a very high ratio of Indians onboard.  I got to Frankfurt, wandered around, sat and read a book.  When I got up to go stand in line, all I could see was white people.  It sounds dumb, but it was such a weird moment for me. 

2.       Freezing to death on the airplane.  I have acclimated to the ridiculously hot Indian climate, so my body was a little shocked by the 8 hours of straight air-conditioning on the plane.  I had on a jacket and  two blankets and was still so dang cold.

3.       Unapologetically eavesdropping, all the time.  It felt very unusual to hear strangers speaking English with an American accent.  My ears were fascinated and it led to some pretty intense and obvious eavesdropping.  Whoops.

4.      Western toilets.  I’ve used a couple of them this summer, but it is strange to have them every time I go into a bathroom.  Also, I don’t have to bring my own toilet paper, which is also weird.

5.       Developing full-on bipolar disorder on the airplane.  I received a giant stack of cards from my students at Rising Star before I left.  I chose, quite unwisely, to read those cards on the plane.  I, of course, starting crying.  So, in an effort to make myself feel better, I decided to watch videos of the kids that I have on my phone, and I started laughing.  The lady sitting next to me was probably a bit concerned about my mental stability.  I can’t help it, I love those kids!

6.      Thinking the dinner on the plane was basically a gourmet meal.  I was so excited about that food.  It was stuff I hadn’t been able to eat for three months.  Not an ounce of curry, and….wait for it….. a salad!  With lettuce!  Whaaaaaaaaaatt?!  It was tiny and dry, but I was feeling like the queen of England at that moment. 

7.       My total inability to get over my Indian mindset.  The flight attendants turned the lights off on the plane so that people could sleep.  When they switched off, I felt mild irritation that the power was out.  The power goes out about 50 times a day in India, and it took me about 10 minutes to realize that it wasn’t a power outage, they had just flipped the lights off.  Also, I heard a kid yell, “Annie!” and I thought he said, “Auntie!” and I felt excited.  I have also been speaking to the flight attendants in pretty chopped up “India English” all day.

8.       Realizing that I have become a food hoarder.  In India, this is a useful skill.  If you have something left over that you may not be able to get your hands on later, you keep it.  However, people look at you weird when you try to save airplane food.  Don’t do it.

9.       My outfit.  Apparently, in America, it’s not normal to be wearing flowy chuddidar pants, a bag with the “OM” symbol on it, and a hand covered in henna.  I would blend right in in India.

10.   My excitement over the “3G” symbol on my phone.  The second that popped up I went straight into SNL skit “Oh my gosh….” Mode.  I was so excited.  I was feeling all happy about technology and the universe.  Seriously, texting, phone calls, 3G!  I don’t know if I can handle that much coolness right now.

I can’t believe my Indian summer is over and I’m back in America.  I miss Rising Star so much.  However, I can’t wait to see my family!  Off to my last flight.  Let’s hope it’s short.

No comments:

Post a Comment