Sunday, June 17, 2012

Classroom Highlights

It's so crazy that yet another week has flown by here in India.  Things have been busy, tough, and wonderful as usual.  Somehow, teaching all of these classes manages to completely exhaust me by the end of the day.  I love being able to spend my entire day with the kids and try to help them progress in their learning.  They are smart, loving, and adorable.  I think many of the details of the day-to-day would probably bore you a bit, but here are some highlights of the week:

1. Our shopping and movie-seeing excursion last weekend.  We went up to Chennai and spent the day shopping in an air-conditioned mall.  





We also went to see Snow White and the Huntsman at a theater here.  It had the fanciest seats I have ever seen in a movie theater.  Also, we didn't know that they have intermissions in the movies here, so were were really confused when the movie turned off randomly in the middle of a sentence halfway through the movie.  



2. Enjoying the beauty of the school.  I love the bright colors and the open air classrooms.




3. Morning prayer.  This is a tradition for the kids at Rising Star.  They get together at the beginning of school every morning and they all recite a few prayers in Tamil, the Lord's prayer in English, and the Indian pledge of allegiance.  



4. Teaching my classes.  There are definite highs and lows associated with teaching, but I just adore these kids. They are so sweet and incredible. I have been forcing kids to read here a lot. At least they pretend to be enjoying it for the picture.:)


In my 5th standard reading class, we read a short non-fiction book about different animals.  After we finished, I had the kids draw a picture of one of the animals and write a fact about the animal on the back.  We took this picture at the end of class.



Another of my favorite activities was when I asked my 5th standard writing class to write about what they would do with 1,000,000 rupees. Many of them wrote about buying cars, bikes, and houses, but some of their responses were so sweet and beautiful.  Here are a few:

I buy this world and enjoy with the people. --K. Rutish

I buy 5 star hotel and I give all of them food and help to poor people.  And they say thank you for you hotel food. --Theerti

I go to my parents and I will say "You take some money."--Mariyambee

My sister baby not have toy.  I go to shop to buy toy for my sister.--V. Thrisha

I buy pool and bike, but this is not my goal.  My goal is to help others and they be happy. That only my goal to help others and I help my mother.  And who not have a house, I give a house. And it so good for me.  You like to help others? I like to help others. --P. Vijay

I was so touched to read about their desires to help their families and the people of their country and their world.  They are truly amazing kids. They recognize the challenges many people face in their daily lives here in India, and they want to change it.  


5. Play time!  I love going over and playing with all those crazy, energetic, little fireballs.  I have been playing a ton with my little buddy, Veeran.  He likes to play a game where I sit on the bench and he stands on my legs.  Then I shake my legs around and try to knock him off.  We both get laughing so hard, we can't move.  I love that kid!



6.  The kids, the kids, the kids.  I can't say it enough, they are the life of Rising Star.  They are the whole reason I am living on the other side of the world for 3 months.  They are indescribable.  I love that Varalekshmi and a couple other kids come find me in my classroom every day at recess time.  


I love when Varalekshmi colors me pictures at recess instead of playing outside.


I love watching movies with the kids on Saturday nights as they pile on top of you.  I love their over-the-top reactions to the movies.  I love their energy.  I love their enthusiasm.  I love that they hate writing, but it's nearly impossible to get them to stop when it's time.  I love that the boy who I talked about in my last post (the one whose hand was burned by his mother) drew me this picture and was so proud of himself.


Every week with these kids, these staff members, and these volunteers is incredible and humbling.  I am so grateful to be here.  As always, thank you all for your love and support.  I miss you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment