Thursday, May 17, 2012

Rising Star

Today I finally made it to Rising Star.  I can't believe I'm here!

This morning, I was picked up at the Marriott in Chennai by one of Rising Star's drivers, Shankar.  He was so great and has the biggest smile.  He helped me get my bags into the car and we started our 3 hour drive to the Rising Star campus.  Let me tell you, Chennai is crazy!  I have never been so utterly fascinated by looking out a window.  I found myself wishing I had several more sets of eyes so I could see everything at once.  I took a few videos, but am not very tech savvy and can't figure out how to upload them.  But here are some pictures.




I wish you could all be here to see the incredible sights of  India, these pictures just don't do it justice.

We drove for a while before Shankar pulled off on a tiny, bumpy side road.  We traveled down the path a ways and came to an incredibly beautiful house with gorgeous floral landscaping.  Out of the house walked Dr. Susan, the resident doctor here at Rising Star.  She hopped in the car and we were again on our way.

Dr. Susan was a fascinating person to talk to.  She has so many beautiful insights about life, leprosy, politics, and India.  I was so grateful to have a chance to sit and talk with her one on one.  She was discussing leprosy and how it is one of the only diseases that devastates every aspect of a person's life.  She said leprosy is one of the cruelest diseases because it is not fatal, but it destroys life.  It affects people physically by causing deformities, mentally by removing the victim's chance at an education, emotionally by destroying their sense of worth and dignity, sexually by affecting their hormones, spiritually by causing them to believe they are cursed by God, and socially by casting them out of society.  It absolutely obliterates every aspect of the victim's life.  It was so humbling to discuss the true effects of this terrible disease.

She also said something that I thought was very profound.  We were discussing Rising Star and her time here, and I asked her if she enjoyed it. She slightly nodded, but looked thoughtful.  Then she said, "You know, God sent me here. To do this work.  So, it doesn't matter if you enjoy it or not, when you do what God wants, you are happy." I thought that was incredibly beautiful.  I was struck by her faith and insight.  I feel like God has sent me here as well.  So, regardless of whether my day is wonderful or hard, I believe this experience will provide me with joy.

Soon, on our drive, the scenery began to change.  Crowded streets and piles of garbage turned into open rice fields and towering palm trees.  The landscape of rural southern India is so beautiful.  It is dry and hot, but there are thick patches of jungle and a few rolling hills.

Finally, we made it to Rising Star.  Dr. Susan had to go meet a group of sponsors that were coming through,  so Shankar showed me my room in the volunteer hostel called the Elephant House.  I have just been wandering around, exploring the campus for the last little while.

The elephant of the Elephant House

The courtyard of the Elephant House

My room

We have traditional Indian squatter toilets that you see on the left.  On the right is the shower.  You fill up the big bucket with water from the spout on the wall, then use the smaller one to scoop some out and shower.

The kitchen

Views from the roof of the Elephant House

So far, my time here in India has been fantastic. I'm jet-lagged, exhausted, extremely hot, and covered with a thick layer of sweat. But the overwhelming emotion I feel right now is gratitude.  I wouldn't be here without the endless support of my Mom, Dad, Brittany, Braden, Kimmy, all of my cousins, and everyone else who offered me encouragement and support.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Berlyn! God definitely sent you to Risig Star. So many tiny miracles and blessings brought you to where you are now. My heart is pounding. I love that I know what it looks, feels, smells, sounds, and tastes like there. Reading this makes me feel like I am back in India in a way. I cant believe you are finally there!! I love it. Welcome to the Rising Star family! Tell Dr. Susan and everyone else you meet hello for me and Derek. Enjoy that beautiful campus and your new wardrobe of sweat :) Proud of you always!

    ReplyDelete